Friday 12 November 2010

The way people speak

I was in Last Thursdays Bracknell Standard What Does Bracknell Think. This time the panel was asked
 
This week's question is about the way people speak.
 
The British Library is doing some research into the way pronunciations of words are changing and have noted that under 35's pronounce certain words in different ways to older people indicating that language is changing.
 
Here are some news stories to give some background -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11640951    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-11642588
 
With a lot of words there is no right and wrong but that doesn't stop some pronunciations really annoying us.
 
What we want to know this week is what people's pet hates about the way others speak are? For example, does it make you cringe when someone pronounces the word 'schedule' 'skedule', to the letter 'h' 'haitch'?
Or do you think it really doesn't matter and people should lighten up a bit?
 
And my answer;
 
I certainly don't use the English language perfectly, for example I say 'guard' in stead of 'god'. It doesn't bother me. You can't expect language not to change over time if it's in constant use.
 
The only thing that really bothers me is when people end every sentence with a raised emphasis on the end making the sentence sound like a question.
 
It also bothers me when people judge others as being less than themselves based on their use of language.
 
Let me know what you think?

1 comment:

  1. The other day I found out that there is a Reading accent and have learnt to recognise it -mostly west Reading folks for sure. Brill.
    Is there such a thing as a Bracknull accent? (Not you Daz, you are too posh)

    ReplyDelete