Wednesday 3 March 2010

Local Blog: Reply to letters in the press

I wrote a letter to the Bracknell Standard (see Political Letters in the Press‏) which was published on the 18th February 2010. I received many replies to my letter in the paper. So I wrote a reply;

Here it is;

I appear to of hit a nerve with my letter on 18th Feb as there were many responses, all of which made some great points and all agree that we do need effective opposition in Bracknell. I don't believe the opposition parties are not sitting on there Loral's I just think they are finding it hard to increase there votes to get elected.

Some Independents also wrote in, David Vousden suggested that you could stand as a Tory and then become an Independent. I like this idea but unfortunately I think you would be found out and it would be very hard to be selected. It's also very difficult to get elected as an Independent as many people don't change their vote. I think its best to have a party behind you but be independent within that party and only stand in a party that agrees with your principals. Then if you have a fundamental disagreement while your in office you can resign at this point and become an Independent.

I would suggest that the Independents don't stand separately but talk to each other and help each other out perhaps only one of them should stand in a general election if they agree.

I also agree with the letter on civic studies. I think this kind of knowledge would really help because apathy is no ones friend, after all if you don't vote then its partly your own fault when the people you didn't vote for perform legislative action that you disagree with.

Paul Horgan is right that its complacency that has contributed to the expenses scandal that we have suffered from this in Bracknell. Bracknell seat is far to safe and when it feels like a contest which has already been decided before it has even begun. This does make people more apathetic.

Darren
Bracknell Blog

1 comment:

  1. Paul Horgan is right that its complacency that has contributed to the expenses scandal that we have suffered from this in Bracknell. Bracknell seat is far to safe and when it feels like a contest which has already been decided before it has even begun.
    -------------------------
    Complacency - that's true when a man who is no better than a common thief is still Bracknells MP.
    Has he has not had the grace to step down why cant he just be told to go?

    ReplyDelete